30 de janeiro de 2009




"I want to try something," I informed him, smiling slightly at his bewildered expression.
I put my hands on both sides of his face and closed my eyes in concentration.
I hadn’t done very well with this when Zafrina had tried to teach me before, but I knew my shield better now. I understood the part that fought against separation from me, the automatic instinct to preserve self above all else.
It still wasn’t anywhere near as easy as shielding other people along with myself. I felt the elastic recoil again as my shield fought to protect me. I had to strain to push it entirely away from me; it took all of my focus.
"Bella!" Edward whispered in shock.
I knew it was working then, so I concentrated even harder, dredging up the specific memories I’d saved for this moment, letting them flood my mind, and hopefully his as well.
Some of the memories were not clear—dim human memories, seen through weak eyes and heard through weak ears: the first time I’d seen his face… the way it felt when he’d held me in the meadow… the sound of his voice through the darkness of my faltering consciousness when he’d saved me from James… his face as he waited under a canopy of flowers to marry me… every precious moment from the island… his cold hands touching our baby through my skin… And the sharp memories, perfectly recalled: his face when I’d opened my eyes to my new life, to the endless dawn of immortality… that first kiss… that first night… His lips, suddenly fierce against mine, broke my concentration.
With a gasp, I lost my grip on the struggling weight I was holding away from myself. It snapped back like stressed elastic, protecting my thoughts once again.
"Oops, lost it!" I sighed.
"I heard you," he breathed. "How? How did you do that?"
"Zafrina’s idea. We practiced with it a few times."
He was dazed. He blinked twice and shook his head.
"Now you know," I said lightly, and shrugged. "No one’s ever loved anyone as much as I love you."
"You’re almost right." He smiled, his eyes still a little wider than usual. "I know of just one exception."
"Liar."
He started to kiss me again, but then stopped abrupt;"
Breaking Dawn

0 comentários:

Related Posts with Thumbnails